Friday, April 8, 2016

two poems by George Bacovia



(my translations)


Gray

A wailing of omens against the panes to say
Winter leaden on the world like a stone ---
“Crows!" I told myself and sighed, alone,
And now on the horizon heavy as lead,
It snows gray.

Like the horizon, my mood is dark as the day …
The wildest, loneliest of all this world.
--- With a feather, I sweep the hearth grown cold …
And on the horizon heavy as lead,
It snows gray.

Gri

Plâns de cobe pe la geamuri se opri,
Şi pe lume plumb de iarnă s-a lăsat;
I-auzi corbii! ― mi-am zis singur... şi-am oftat,
Iar în zarea grea de plumb,
Ninge gri.

Ca şi zarea, gândul meu se înnegri...
Şi de lume tot mai singur, mai barbar,
― Trist, cu-o pană mătur vatra, solitar...
Iar în zarea grea de plumb,
Ninge gri.


Lead

Deeply asleep the coffins of lead,
And leaden flowers and charnel shroud ---
I stood alone in the vault … The wind was loud,
Screaking in the wreaths of lead.

Upturned, slept my beloved of lead,
On leaden flowers, and I began my grief,
Alone by her corpse, cold without relief,
And the drooping wings wrought in lead.
Plumb

Dormeau adânc sicriele de plumb,
Şi flori de plumb şi funerar vestmânt
― Stam singur în cavou... şi era vânt...
Şi scârţâiau coroanele de plumb.

Dormea întors amorul meu de plumb
Pe flori de plumb... şi-am început să-l strig
― Stam singur lângă mort... şi era frig...
Şi-i atârnau aripile de plumb.


No comments:

Post a Comment